HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Herald (12/03/06)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
baiboe
Archivist

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2005-11-12

PostSubject: The Herald (12/03/06)   Sun 12 Mar - 15:24

The HERALD

Good Morning! Today is, Sunday March 12th, 1454
Edition XX

LOCAL NEWS

Wiltshire Council Writes New Laws

The Wiltshire Council has been busy recently writing two new laws. Just added to the code of laws was a law defining abuse of power by public officials, and a law dealing with procedures for town hall contracts. Count Lorudce shared with The Herald that, "the need for these laws was recently highlighted when two mayor's were publicly debating over their involvement in trade deals. It became clear that protection was needed for mayors to make trade deals which might include their own workshops, and that abuse of power needed to be defined in the law."

Abuse of power is now defined by this law.

Quote :
Abuse of Power:

Elected and appointed officials are to be guardians of the public's trust. As such, it is a most grievous crime to abuse that sacred trust.

Definitions:
Abuse of power includes desertion from office, dereliction of duty, obstruction of justice, profiteering, swindling, aiding/participating in criminal activities, breach of contract, etc.

Penalties:
Therefore, any official, elected or appointed, convicted of abuse of power shall be jailed for a minimum of 1 day, have a reduction of 1 RP, and if any personal profit was gained at the public's expense, then the guilty official shall be fined that amount money plus 10%.

Town halls often enter into trade deals with merchants, other towns, and citizens, but until the passing of the contract law, there has been no official record kept. There is a fine line between "making deals" and profiting from the town. This law requires mayors to file a copy of all contracts with the trade minister so that it is on file. Mayors who follow the law, will have immunity from prosecution. In the event a contract is viewed by the council as abusive, the council can refuse to endorse it by "overturning it". That leaves the mayors with the option of changing the deal, or waiving immunity and going forward. Specifically the law states:

Quote :
Town Hall Contracts:

Mayors to File with TM:
Whereas mayors have a duty to work for the best interests of their town and in doing so, may from time to time enter into to contract with the artisans of their town (including themselves). All mayors are required to post via PM to the trade minister all official contracts and grants. The Trade Minister will then record the contract in the council chambers by pasting the pm there. Such posting will be kept confidential in the council and will only be made public upon the request of the mayor. The mayor is free to release the details of the contract to the public, and may request the Trade Minister to verify the contract's contents.

Mayors who don't file:
Any mayor not sending a copy of the official contract to the Trade Minister may be prosecuted for misconduct if it is deemed there is an abuse of power. Not filing is not a crime but a mayor waives their protection from prosecution under this law if they fail to file

Council May Overturn a Contract:
Upon being posted in the council chambers, any council member can call for a vote to render a contract null and void if they feel it is an abuse of power. If a majority of the council members agree, then the contract will be overturned. Such voting will be for 24 hours after the call for a vote. If a contract is overturned, the mayor is not exempt from prosecution if the contract goes forward and a citizen files a complaint.

Contract Disputes:
If any dispute or charges arise and a contract was on file, the mayor may use the contract as proof positive he was operating in the town's best interest and will be exempt from prosecution unless the council voted to overturn the contract.

Not everyone is pleased with these new additions to the law. Lord Mayor Dugustus, sees the contract law as an intrusion of the council, in an area where mayors should have the final say.

Quote :
TH: How do you feel about the contract law?
Dugustus: I think it could have been more definative perhaps better worded. Something along the lines of the appointment of a records keeper to one of the vacant county seats.
He would accept the 'deal' submissions and hold them not to be released unless something is amiss and charges are forwarded.

TH: What things about it do you find most negative?
Dugustus: That sharing of the information to open council.
There is no garuntee that a council personage will not share this information.
Leave council and use the information.
Leak the information to criminal elements.
If a position on council was honor bound and bound by the Abuse of postition law to keep such information to his or her self then I think the purposes of this law would have been better served.

TH: Do you see any good to granting immunity to mayors who are making contracts in good faith?
Dugustus: Yes, although it does open the question of what is good faith.

TH: How would you rather the council have handled the matter?
Dugustus: I think more time for consultation with the Town council was in order.
There is an influx of new mayors that were not consulted and the timing was rather short for a matter of such importance.

TH: Do you think this law being in place could have either prevented TheSnowMan's contract with himself, or made it legitimate?
Dugustus: No, I believe TSM was acting solely for his own purposes, he is experienced enough to know that his plan would not work from the get go.
Also his plan assured himself of 1400 profit in 10 days even if he sold the axes at minimum and being an experienced smith, he knew this as well.

Other mayors, past and present, have sided with the council and are glad to see a new level of protection afforded them when they make trade deals which they deem as beneficial for their towns.

Continue to read The Herald for the latest news of England.

By Staff.

Sussex also posts New laws

Quote :
Strategic resources : iron and steel

Any person purchasing iron or steel from a town should be a blacksmith living in Sussex or an official guild merchant on a trade mission within England.

To purchase iron ore or steel ounces from a town hall market and not meeting these requirements, is an illegal action punishable by the following guidelines:

1st offense: 10 pounds per iron ore or steel ounce + 1 day in mine per 5 ores/ounces (rounded up)
2nd offense: 15 pounds per iron ore or steel ounce + 1 day in mine per 4 ores/ounces (rounded up)
3rd offense: 18 pounds per iron ore or steel ounce + 1 day in mine per 3 ores/ounces (rounded up)

The offender may avoid prosecution if he or she sells the iron/steel back to the Town from which he or she purchased it from for the same price of the purchase within 48 hours.

Good news for the gold-diggers in Sussex

The gold mine between Canterbury and Dover is currently being checked and prepared for re-opening. Due to unexpected complications, the mine has to stay open during these check-ups and the hiring schedule can't be changed.

The sheriff of Sussex, Harald Jarl, informed the public about this with the folowing letter:
Harald Jarl wrote:
Greetings everyone!

We (me and the council) are working on trying to open up the goldmine between Dover and Canterbury. To do that we need to repair the mine and repairs can only be made while the mine is open.

I would ask you all to wait with working in the mine until i say it is ok to go to work in the mine again as the more workers there are in the mine while we repair it the more expensive the repairs will be.

Please be patient and wait until the repairs are done before you go to work in the goldmine. It will probably take a week for the repairs to finish.

Animal Woes

Remember the days when you could enter any Town Hall and see piles of wheat and corn sitting around unwanted and rotting? Overproduction was the cry being heard by everyone. Along came production changes and not only do the fields produce less, but now the county needs corn and wheat to breed animals for the ranchers. In Sussex, there is just enough wheat and corn coming in to breed the animals needed. In Wiltshire, the lack of corn and wheat has reached crisis proportions. The Sheriff, Ecthelion, has requested the mayors to push production and sell at the county fair, but the towns have not been meeting the county's needs. Now the county is out of wheat and corn and thus can breed no more livestock to sale to the ranchers.

A major contributing factor to this crisis is the opening of 4 colonies within a few days of each other. Three of those colonies have not elected mayors yet and thus any animals purchased there, are not being balanced by corn and wheat being sold to the county.

It looks like it is time for many to go back to farming corn and wheat, the very golden grains that were choking the system a few months ago.

Keep reading The Herald and as we follow this story.

By The Herald Staff.

A letter just in:
Quote :
The Curious Case of the Exiled Candidate.

As the good folk of Plymouth, newly arrived and eager to begin a new life down here in the wilds of Wiltshire, awoke that morning it seemed like any other.

When building a new colony, you have to work hard and knuckle down. Plymouth is no exception. Working in the mine, fishing, building- a towns work is never done. You also have to elect yourselves your first mayor.

For such a small town many were excited to find that they had three candidates to choose from. Elve was friendly and helpful, newly moved and always lending a helping hand; Salt was down-to-Earth, grounded and a good man to have watch your back.

But it was Chrissss2 who captured the imagination from the get-go.

A stranger, with an odd accent, Chrissss2 de La Rochelle was the most respected person in the town and easily the richest. Within a day they opened a tavern (someting Salt did a few days later). The next day they were the first to announce that they were running for Mayor.

Friendly and rich, Chrissss2 seemed like they were about to make a real name for themselves in Plymouth. Then came a missive from France...
"I'm the count of Périgord in France, I want to find a personnage who's name is chrissss2, he lives in your town and he was stolen of my county lot of money. Can you help me, i would like to punish this crime."

Those who heard were shocked. Could it be true? Chrissss2 refuted the arguments. Discussions were held. Mostly by people from elsewhere in the county. Acuusations started to fly from France.

They said he was a thief.
They said he was a fraudster.
They said he had robbed an entire county of its wealth.
The French man poured scorn upon this.
He claimed his accuser's were lying. he claimed they were making things up.
He claimed it was because of jealousy. The Duke envied his position (4 times Mayor, but never always of the same town it must be noted). He claimed he had given up on France and was proud to be English.

In Council Chambers discussions raged. Arguments were had. Some wanted the French man deported- good relations with Englands more powerful neighbour being paramount.
Others disdained the idea- to them kow-towing to the Frnech was unacceptable.

In the meantime several asked Chrissss2 serious questions. Why hadn't the French man come to the county and claimed sancturary from the political games being played back in France? Why had he sneaked into the county (some say he had arrived by small boat the day the colony was created)?

The French man smiled and pointed out that he had only been in the country a few days- he was just getting established. He was just settling in. Of course he was going to inform the authorities...

About then a few in Plymouth began to ask- if he was so new, how come in the time he was here he was able to buy the towns first tavern, and put themselves up for mayor so quickly. he had time to do that, but not simply drop someone a word...

Plymouth is a new colony; a sleepy little town with little going on. They talk about where is the best place to fish. And who is nice to who. And wonder when they will get a parish priest.

And suddenly this exciting French man, with his fine clothes and his tavern, and his freindly nature- they wonder- Is he lying?

Is this the greatest thief in France come living admist us?
And do they care?

At time of writing, a full 60% of the town have voted for him.
Is this because they don't care, or because the idea excites them?

Who knows for sure.

But down in Plymouth, in its first weeks of existance, we have the curious case of the exiled candidate for Mayor. Some say Wiltshire will arrest him and stick him on a boat back to France. others say he will escape again.
Whatever the case- one wonders... perhaps this sleepy little village isn't as sleepy as it appears.
by _danton_

WEATHER

Last edited by on Tue 21 Mar - 15:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baiboe
Archivist

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2005-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Herald (12/03/06)   Sun 12 Mar - 15:25

Opinion & Editorial

Our reporter spoke with the mayor of Southampton

The_Light: My first question, Ffourone, is how do you find to be a mayor? Is it hard or easy thing. Do you have many problems to solve?

ffourone: Being Mayor is hard and easy, boring and interesting. It has been interesting, and in the beginning it was a lot to learn, but now I think I know most of what I should/should not do... I got a little less help than I had thought I would, since TheSnowMan is moving IRL, and in retreat, but I just think that was good. It forced me to learn and explore things on my own, and I believe it was useful.
I do have some problems to solve, big and small, and off course I get a lot of questions about the game from new players.

The_Light: What are the most asked questions from the new players. and what is your biggest problem from the beginning of your mayorship, if it is not a town secret;)?

ffourone: I get two sorts of questions, the new people who ask me about everything, from how to eat, get a job, to what the clothes do, etc... And a lot of people also ask about what sort of fields the town need. (The questions I like the most, they shows that you care about yourself and the town, I like that)
The more experienced ask me to get some goods to the town or export/buy what they sell...

I have had some problems, but not any big I can say here... You will know about them soon enought...

The_Light: So, my next question is how you help the new players, what is your program for them? Do you think that adding in the mayor's announcement the members of NMMG in Southampton is of any good or help?

ffourone: I help the new players that ask me questions with a good guide for the days until you level up... just copy/paste, but I also asks them to ask me about anything they would want to know... I could change that with " ask the members of NMMG instead; Aanien, Allikath, Harekr, Wyntyrkyng, BFRG782 and The_Light.
I think that the announcement in the mayors message has helped a little, but I still get daily questions from new players...

The_Light: As a mayor for the first time you had had some difficulties, how did you get the information to solve them? Are the others with willing to help you? And also do you think that the previous mayor was working good?

ffourone: I had some difficulties, yes. At the prices, I found out what people would buy and sell for, and I used that as the when I descided the prices. At most problems, it's just to use plain common sence.

The other Mayors have worked good with me, and we have been arranging a couple of merchant-visits, and been learning from each other in the Mayors chambers.

I think that TheSnowMan was good as Mayor. He kept the town safe, the market in balance, and money in the TH. He tried to establish a good wood import to SH, but it hasn't suceeded yet. I don't remember any bad things he did, and that must be a good thing, or what?

The_Light: Do you think that he had really tried to establish a trade road or he had tried to rob the TH?

ffourone: I have looked throught the case again (where he was found Not guilty) and I see no evidence that shows that he would do it just for his own good. I still find noone that says he has told them about his plan, and I think that is a weak point for him... I also see that this deal "forces" him to earn a lot of money because of the rules of which price to sell. I choose to believe he has good intensions, as I know him as a good and honoureable citizen.

The_Light: What are your future plans, what is your program for the town? Will you set tax?
And the next election will come. Do you think about running for mayor again?

ffourone: I will try to establish our "wood-route" with TSM, I will get the TH a good and balanced amount of money, and I will Southampton better, the Best town in England! I will not have taxes, the only taxes would be on the fields affected by ranchkeeping, and then the taxes would be to get in the 200 pounds a week. But I would not do this without a good majority of the ones who would pay those taxes voting for it.

I havn't descided if I will run for mayor yet. I will descide when the election comes, I will also have to look at my exams schedule, since the Mayor position is pretty time-consuming.

The_Light: Do you really think that Southampton can become not the best but one of the best in England?

ffourone: We must have faith. I see no reasons why it could not happen, do you? SH has fish, a good position in England, and the players to make it happen. We must just work together to the best of the town.

The_Light: Do you think that you can manage to make all town's inhabitants to work together? And what do you think about programs like Tatarikuns's one?

ffourone: I think it would be hard to make everyony work together, but at least a lot of them. I think that would be enought, like if it's too many who are growing crop, the ones who cooperate will choose another needed field.

I think (or at least hope) Tatarikuns program was a fault, he just pressed the button to see what screen that would appear, and suddenly he was in the election. When he had payed, without any ways to get the money back, he ran out the whole election.. I would have done the same... Why don't get the fun you have payed for?

The_Light: Do you think that we have now balanced market in Southampton? And Why the fish in a fish town is so expensive even in the TH's market?

ffourone: Yes, we have apretty good market now, but it can always become better... There is always something that's not on the market that we need...

I would say that the fish isn't so expensive... you can buy one milk for a minimum of 12 pounds, and with fish you will get the same, but cheaper. There are often cheaper fish on the players market, the TH fish are mostly for merchants, and to regulate the prices of what the players sell for.

The_Light: Your policy for more fish is good idea. To sell the players who are fishermen boat at reasonable price is very wise decision. DO you plan to help the others social groups?

ffourone: I have been thinking about selling buckets and knives at a lower price to help the animal farmers, but as we have the fish for intelligence, and a lot of pigs for meat I, and produce more than enought wool and hides I have not done it.

The_Light: Do you think that there will have huge transfer of people to the new towns? And do you think that people in Southampton like you as mayor?

ffourone: I think we will have some people leaving, but I'm sure they will be replaced by new ones, so I don't think it will become a problem...

I hope people like me as mayor, and I have not got many angry mails or demonstrations, so I have no reason to believe they hate me... I hope people will tell if it's something I can do to be a better Mayor, as long as it's not like: "buy my fish at the market for 30,95pounds"

The_Light: Does the TH enrich while you are the mayor?

ffourone: It is more money in the TH now than it was before I started as mayor, yes. That is all I want to say about that...

The_Light: It is all for the town!
What do you think for the new towns? Dorchester has lake, is it Southampton's rival?

ffourone: It was just a question of time before it would come a new fish town, so we have been lucky, and have been able to sell our fish for a good price. Now I think we will be forced to lower our prices. I hope we will be able to co-operate with them on the fish sale, and find a good price for everyone to sell at, and make sure we don't get a price competition. (we could make a fish mafia )

About Chard, I think it might be dumb that it became a wood town, since I have heard a lot about big surpluses of wood, but done is done, and we will have to make the best we can out of it...

The_Light: What is your opinion for robbers, criminals and the demonstrations? Also do you think that we have good judges?

ffourone: I think robbers and criminals who shows no will to change their criminal behaviour should be punished severe, and after 3 cases that they have been found guilty inn the same or similar crime, they should get the death penalty.

I like demonstrations, and if anyone will do anything to make demonstrations illegal, I will fight agains it. Demonstrations are an important way to maintain democracy, and for the people to show their opinions about things.

I think we have good judges, and the count has been good when desciding.

The_Light: And my final questions. Do you like to be a mayor? Do you want to say something in the end of this interview? If I have missed something that you think is important just write aboout it.

ffourone: I like being mayor. I believe I have learned a lot from it, among other things, inflation, what it does, and how it works etc...

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this interview, and tell everyone to remember to have fun, this is a game!

Carpe diem memento mori-
Seize the day, remember you are going to die.

by The_Light

International

news from Germany

Duke Césarion from Baden was reversed by his ducal council and the Holy Emperor.
Belzébar was selected to be the new duke of Baden

Humor

Doctor Stories.........

A man comes into the ER and yells,
"My wife's going to have her baby in the
cab!" I grabbed my stuff, rushed out to the cab, lifted the lady's --Dress, and began to take off her underwear. Suddenly I
noticed that there were several cabs, and I was in the wrong one.

--Dr. Mark MacDonald, San Antonio, TX

At the beginning of my shift I placed a stethoscope on an elderly and slightly deaf female patient's anterior chest wall.
Big breaths," I instructed. Yes, they used to be," remorsefully replied the patient.

--Dr. Richard Byrnes, Seattle, WA

One day I had to be the bearer of bad news when I told a wife that her husband had died of a massive myocardial infarct. Not more than five minutes later, I heard her reporting to the rest of the family
that he had died of a "massive internal fart."

--Dr. Susan Steinberg, Manitoba, Canada

I was performing a complete physical,
including the visual acuity test. I placed the patient twenty feet from the chart and
began, "Cover your right eye with your hand." He read the 20/20 line perfectly.
Now your left." Again, a flawless read Now both," I requested. There was silence. He couldn't even read the large E on the top line. I turned and discovered that he had done exactly what I had asked; he was standing there with both his eyes covered. I was laughing too hard to finish the exam.

--Dr. Matthew Theodropolous, Worcester, MA

During a patient's two week follow-up appointment with his cardiologist, he
informed me, his doctor, that he was having trouble with one of his medications. Which one?" I asked. The patch. The nurse told me to put on a
new one every six hours and now I'm running out of places to put it!" I had
him quickly undress and discovered what I hoped I wouldn't see. Yes, the man had over fifty patches on his body! Now the
instructions include removal of the old patch before applying a new one.

--Dr. Rebecca St. Clair, Norfolk, VA

And Finally . . . .

A new, young MD doing his residency in OB was quite embarrassed performing
female pelvic exams. To cover his embarrassment he had unconsciously formed a habit of whistling softly.

The middle aged lady upon whom he was performing this exam suddenly burst
out laughing and further embarrassed him. He looked up from his work and
sheepishly said, "I'm sorry. Was I tickling you?"
She replied, "No doctor, the song you were whistling was 'I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Wiener."

--won't admit his name

"Grow Old with me, the best is yet to be!" Oh really...? ;-)

--- I felt like my body had gotten totally out of shape, so I got my
doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising. I
decided to take an aerobics class for seniors. I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But, by the time I got my leotards on, the class was over.

--- Reporters interviewing a 104-year-old woman: "And what do you think
is the best thing about being 104?" the reporter asked. She simply
replied, "No peer pressure."

--- The nice thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter
eggs

--- Just before the funeral services, the undertaker came up to the
very elderly widow and asked, "How old was your husband?" "98," she replied.
"Two years older than me."
"So you're 96," the undertaker commented.
She responded, "Hardly worth going home, is it?

--- I've sure gotten old.! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip
replacement, new knees Fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I'm half
blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different
medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have
bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and
feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my driver's license.

--- A 97-year-old man goes into his doctor's office and! says, "Doc, I
want my sex drive lowered." "Sir," replied the doctor, "you're 97 Don't
you think your sex drive is all in your head?" "You're damned right it
is!" replied the old man. "That's why I want it lowered!"

--- An elderly woman decided to prepare her will and told her preacher
she had two final requests. First, she wanted to be cremated, and second,
she wanted her ashes scattered over Wal-Mart. "Wal-Mart?" the preacher
exclaimed. "Why Wal-Mart?" "Then I'll be sure my daughters visit me
twice a week."

---My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as
sharp as it used to be.

---It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.

---The good news is that even as we get older, guys still look at our
boobs. The bad news is they have to squat down first.

---These days about half the stuff in my shopping cart says, "For fast
relief."

---I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age, but
they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty."

---Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner
child playing with matches.

---Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back up.!

--- Remember: You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow
old because you stop laughing.

- --THE SENILITY PRAYER : Grant me the senility to forget the people I
never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the
eyesight to tell the difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Herald (12/03/06)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Archives of England :: The Herald-
Jump to: