HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Herald (11/01/06)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
baiboe
Archivist

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2005-11-12

PostSubject: The Herald (11/01/06)   Wed 11 Jan - 3:05

The HERALD

Good Morning! Today is, Wednesday Janurary 11th, 1454
Edition XIII

LOCAL NEWS

And the One Became Two!

Citizens throughout Sussex awoke to some startling developments on January 4.
With His royal decree, King LongJohnSilver, created a new county, Wiltshire.
LongJohnSilver wrote:
On one hand, Wiltshire with the towns of Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Marlborough (west), on the other hand Sussex (Lewes, Arundel, Sevenoaks, Dover, Canterbury,... east).

The election for the council of Wiltshire will take place in 30 days. I will appoint as temporary members the members of Sussex council who would prefer to live in Wiltshire (please pm me). Those members who want to leave can also nominate their substitute in Sussex council.

I hope that you will appreciate this development of England and that you will invite all your friends, acquaintances, neighbors... to play RK !

Sircell did a good job of analyzing the division of resouces and produced this chart:
Sircell wrote:
Statistics:

Wiltshire:

2 forest
1 fishing
1 orchard
1 gold mine
1 iron mine
1 stone mine
4 towns
6 nodes
1 colony

Sussex:

1 forest
3 fishing
1 orchard
2 gold mines
2 iron mines
1 stone mine
5 towns (6 if you count Hastings)
7 Nodes
2 colonies

At this time, the following people have been appointed to the temporary council of Wiltshire:
Quote :
LongJohnSilver (Count)
UrShak (Judge)
Whit (Public Prosecutor)
Harekr (Sergeant)
Ecthelion (Sheriff)
Nataniel (Captain)
Lorudce (Trade Minister)
Riane
Chinahero

All are holding office by decree of the King Himself and will help with the transition to a new county. The first election for council was announced for 30 days after the formation of Wiltshire.

The sentiments of citizens in both Sussex and Wiltshire seems to be agreeing that we are one unified country, England, divided into two prosperous counties.

by Lorudce

Wiltshirians React to their New County

Thirty votes were cast in The Herald’s poll about the creation of Wiltshire.

Citizens were asked, “Are you glad that Sussex was split into 2 counties?”
24 said yes, 5 said no and 1 said they didn’t care.

The Sussex count, Baiboe, found he lived in the wrong county and has relocated to Sussex to complete his duty to the people.

Lorudce, former mayor of Southampton, who was Sergeant for 3 days in Sussex resigned from the Sussex council and said this,
Lorudce wrote:
While I will always have a warm place in my heart for Sussex, I am glad we are now two counties. I see this as an opportunity for both counties to grow and for our nation of England to grow. We now have a unique opportunity to show that 2 counties can serve 1 King and Country and remain as siblings. I look forward to strong relations between us and a fee exchange of goods, services, and ideas. This also opens the door for more people to get involved in more aspects of the running of the respective counties since we now need 24 council members instead of 12.

Dugustus Dudley, Mayor of Winchester commented on how the political landscape was changed by this action.
Dugustus wrote:
Elections will be more indicative of the poplular vote.
It's less likely the same party will come to power in both at the same time.
Dynamic politics.

One notable negative comment came from Ecthelion, mayor of Marlborough and former council member in Sussex with multi-term experience.
Ecthelion wrote:
I much preferred one county. I think that England is sprouting more cities than it can afford. In France there are often much higher concentrations of level 0s to work mines, and the level 2s can balance to a more optimal level.

Whether you favor the creation of the new county or not, it is here. The citizens of Wiltshre have their work cut out for them to establish their own county government and culture. One thing is certain; The Herald will continue to be here to bring you the news of both counties.

by Lorudce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baiboe
Archivist

PostSubject: Re: The Herald (11/01/06)   Wed 11 Jan - 3:05

The mines of England

As most people in Sussex/Wiltshire have noticed, England is changing. During the last month, we have had 2 new towns created, 2 mines created, a new council elected, a pair of revolts, and the division of Sussex into two counties, as well as other changes. One of these other changes has been the way the mines are managed.

Near the end of December, mayor Dugustus of Winchester noticed that his mine had closed. This mine was the only mine for Winchester, and mayor Dugustus was not happy. Other towns noticed changes in the mines as well. For example, at least one Arudelian remarked that the wages in the mines dropped.

These changes happened around the time the council changed. These changes were some of the first changes that Sheriff Zymurge made, after being named to the post. He has since opened the mine for Winchester.

The sheriff has had to deal with the creation of two new gold mines. In December, Dover and Canterbury were founded, and both brought new gold mines to Sussex.

The most recent change in Sussex's mining industries have been the loss of several mines to the new county of Wiltshire. When Wiltshire was declared independent of Sussex, it took 3 of Sussex's mines with them, including a stone and an iron mine. When asked if Wiltshire would affect Sussex's mining, Zymurge responded by saying
Quote :

The splitting of the County has had a seriously negative impact on the mining situation by changing the ratio of towns with iron/stone options to those with gold only. It previously was 6:3 and now has moved to 3:2.

Zymurge has said that this change may lead him to close one or both of the gold mines in the East of Sussex. Zymurge said that the addition of 2 new gold mines has helped to make mining unviable for Sussex. The sheriff said "Prior to the last two colonies, Dover and Canterbury, the ratio[iron/stone mines:gold] was 6:1. We had more than enough iron and stone to cover the one gold mine's drain. Adding 200% more gold mine maintenance (based on numbers of miners, not mines) tipped the equation into the red "The sheriff added that
Quote :

Frankly, I don't see how we can afford to keep Canterbury and Dover in the mining business without bankrupting the County iron and stone. The impact on my job is that I feel obligated to help solve the problem of finding alternative jobs for those towns. I've been discussing something with Teignant and the rest of the Council around this that we hopefully can present soon

One question that remains unanswered is what these alternative jobs might be. Zymurge suggested that they might be found in the barracks, working in either of the militias. Also, Zymurge noted that both Dover and Canterbury are fishing towns, and residents could fish if there are no other job options.

Zymurge implied that closing the mines was a last resort, and that leaving both mines open indefinitely could ultimately become a health and safety issue. He reminded the Herald that if the council runs out of stone, the mines COULD end up collapsing on the miners. Zymurge did assure the Herald that the mines would be closed before such a disaster takes place.

by drrino

Wiltshire

As many English citizens expected, the County of Sussex has been split into two, smaller counties. The Larger of the two counties is still Sussex, which encompasses all cities east of, and including, Lewes. The smaller, new county includes Southampton, Winchester, Salisbury, and Marlborough. The official announcement, see quote below, came early Thursday morning. The counties had been separated at midnight Wednesday night (or Thursday morning). HRH King
LongJohnSilver's announcement wrote:

On one hand, Wiltshire with the towns of Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Marlborough (west), on the other hand Sussex (Lewes, Arundel, Sevenoaks, Dover, Canterbury,... east).

The election for the council of Wiltshire will take place in 30 days. I will appoint as temporary members the members of Sussex council who would prefer to live in Wiltshire (please pm me). Those members who want to leave can also nominate their substitute in Sussex council.

I hope that you will appreciate this development of England and that you will invite all your friends, acquaintances, neighbors... to play RK !

LJS

The count of Sussex, and many people in all of England, feel that this is a good step. The count of Susssex, Baiboe said "I'm sure that - with the help of everyone in both counties - we will solve our problems and become two prosperous counties."

Sussex seems to have remained stable, and unharmed. The main issue has been the loss of mines to County Wiltshire (see mining article in THIS issue!).

Some of the questions that many Citizens of Sussex had were about the Council. Sussex wondered who would remain on the Sussex Council, and who would make the switch to Wiltshire's council. The only member to have made the switch is Lorudce. He annouced his intention to switch councils quite quickly, saying
Quote :
With a heavy heart I choose to resign from the Sussex Council and serve Wiltshire on the temporary council. I had only been on the Sussex council for 3 days due to the voluntary resignation of Ecthelion who was a mayor and choose to keep serving his constinuents when Sussex laws changed. I felt experienced people would be of benefit to Wiltshire as we make a new county. Sussex is blessed with many experienced citizens, in fact all other council members lived there or relocated. I wish Sussex all the best and look forward to helping Wiltshire grow and become prosperous.
The other Sussex council members have remained in Sussex, and are continuing their elected roles.
One such person is Count Baiboe. When asked why he chose to move to Canterbury, instead of staying in his Hometown of Salibury, He said
Quote :

I have moved back to Sussex because i have my duties there and it was my opinion that it wouldn't be right to ignore them. Wiltshire can also be helped by a good functioning council in Sussex
He also said that after his term expires, he plans to "explore our[England's] counties and i think that i spend some time on that when i have fulfilled my duties to the people of Sussex"

The rest of Sussex seems to like the Idea of Wiltshire as well. Approximately 65% of Sussex have said that they are glad that Wiltshire was created. Wiltshire is even happier, with 85% responding that they are pleased to see the new county.

by drrino

Wiltshire Politics

The temporary council was appointed by King LongJohnSilver from a list of citizens who volunteered. The first elected council will be determined by the people in the next month. The Herald has contacted several political parties and asked of their intentions to be involved in Wiltshire politics. One thing should be noted, there is much talk in the Inn of independents forming a list for the elections as well.

The Orginization for the Prosperity of England O.P.E
baiboe wrote:
The Herald: Is OPE planning to be active in both counties?
Baiboe: OPE is a party for all the people in England so it's only normal that we will be active in both counties.

The Herald: Are any OPE members currently serving on the temporary council?
Baiboe Currently we have Chinahero in the Wiltshire Council.

The Herald: Does OPE plan to field a list in the upcoming Wiltshire elections.
We are trying to make a list now.

Citizens' Union of England C.U.E.
Quote :

The Herald: Is CUW planning to be active in both counties?
C.U.E.: Yes, the members living in Wiltshire have formed a local branch called the Citizens' Union of Wiltshire. The C.U.W. plans to be active in Wiltshire while the C.U.S. will remain active in Sussex.

The Herald: Are any C.U.E. members currently serving on the temporary council?
C.U.E.: Yes, Lorudce, Riane, Harekr, and Ecthelion all volunteered and are serving on the temporary council.

Does C.U.E plan to field a list in the upcoming Wiltshire elections.
C.U.E.: Yes, we are currently forming our list and will post it soon.

Cute Chicks in Control Party, CCCP
Quote :
Cute Chick: Good qestions-- I have not heard any rumblings at all.

IS/IA
thelastdhali wrote:
Lorudce wrote:
I'm getting together and article for The Herald about the new political landscape in Wiltshire. As top of the IA/IS list from Sussex, I wanted to ask you the same 3 things I asked ope, cccp, and cue:

Before I do, i have 1 extra question. Is the Imperial Army still one with the Imperial Senate, or are you seperate politically? If seperate, is the IA a "militia" or a political party?

The IA/IS have disbanded for numerous different reasons.

thelastdhali

With several groups being effectively split by the division of the county, it will be interesting to see how the next election goes. Wiltshire censors have already established the ground rules by which the first Wiltshire county elections will be run.

Quote :
These are the rules. Everyone will follow them. It was quite messy last time, and we are going to try to clean it up. Not everyone here wants to read political trashing of another party, so this way we can keep the garbage contained to their very own threads, while reading only the neat clean part of the debate is an option for those that wish it.

Any post that is not authorized in a particular thread will be split/locked. Keep the appropriate threads clean.

Thread 1: Involves the #1 name on each council candidate list ONLY. A pre-selected censor offers one thread where one of the censors will moderate the discusssion, taking questions via pm from anyone in the populace. We will then ask the participants to answer the question with a single answer in order from first registered (so if this were last election IS would go first, then OPE, then CUS, finally CCCP). After each of the participants give their initial answer, they will be allowed to follow the order again rebutting any of the candidates points, or clarifying their own. Two posts, per question - that's IT. Censors are not obligated to ask every question submitted to them.

Thread 2: Involves the #2 name on each council candidate list ONLY. Format exact same as above.

Common argument thread #1: This is where others can chime in on what they think of the candidates' answers in the first thread. Anyone can speak here. Sussex or Wiltshire Inn Censor moderates this particular thread.

Common argument thread #2: This is where others can chime in on what they think of the candidates' answers in the second thread. Anyone can speak here. Sussex or Wiltshire Inn Censor moderates this particular thread.

Keep reading The Herald for the latest news from Wiltshire and Sussex.

by Lorudce

Court News

Three Robbers all found Guilty as Charged - The robbers were sentanced to jail time and fines. Additionally, Dark Devil was given 5 days in the mines as part of community service to repay the county for it's court costs.

Darmor Found Guilty of Treason - Darmor, Mayor of Dover and Councilman of Sussex has been found guilty of treason by Judge Nordicnorn. Nordicnorn's decision:

Quote :

This Court took this charge against a fellow Council person VERY seriously. It is not the wish of this court to provide the Council with a precedent for disposing of Council members with whom they disagree or do not like. So allow me to be clear on this: This case was judged on it's merits. I will break this case into two parts to better address the reasons I have come to this decision.
1- on the spirit of the law and conflict of interest: I have found that Darmor did not only run for mayor after a motion had been placed on the table by the council, he failed to reveal he was running to the council, all the while knowing the a fellow Council member withdrew from a mayoral race due to the potential conflict of interest- Anto Capone withdrew knowing he could not be unbiased in a vote and placed his Council duties above that of his personal desires. It was by his circumvention of proceedure and lack of forthrightness that the defendant violated both the potential conflict of interest and the spirit of ethical Council behavior.
2- I further find that the letter of the law states one may not be a mayor and a Council member "at the same time". It does not state anything about when the election started, or that you may not RUN for both positions at the same time. It simply means that if elected to both - you must choose. Further, since you were elected AFTER the law was passed your case does not meet the litmus test that this is an Ex post facto law. I would not allow such a law to be applied, and the Council should be clear that I would have found not guily had I felt this law was applied in a retrospective or "Ex post facto" manner.
So, in the absence of proof that this law is being applied in an ex post facto manner - I must find the defendant guily.
The fact that the Defence witnesses did not show in court is a matter for the prosecution to address if she so desires. It had no bearing on the outcome of this case
The defendant has been sentenced to 10 pounds fine

Darmor's response to The Herald

Quote :

Judge Nordicnorn's verdict of guilty is not a decision I agree with. However, the fundamental moral principle on which I stood has been wisely supported by the opinion she rendered. She has affirmed that ex-post-facto law is not permitted in Sussex, and I am very pleased about that.

However, her verdict had nothing to do with my resignation. Either way, I needed to step down for personal reasons. I was forced to remain on the council for the amount of time that I did to protect my stance against the application of a law written prior to my bid for the Mayor's Office of Dover to my term.

by Staff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baiboe
Archivist

PostSubject: Re: The Herald (11/01/06)   Wed 11 Jan - 3:06

WEATHER

by Baiboe

OPINION & EDITORIAL

Q&A with Baiboe, Count of Sussex

drrino: Aside from the creation of 2 new towns in less then a month, did you have any warning that there was a new county about to be created? If so, what warning was given?

Count Baiboe: The only warning we got about the creation of a new county, was the creation of the new towns in such a short notice. Sussex was an abnormal big county so it was clear that it wouldn't take long before a second county would be founded but it caught us by surprise when it actually happened.

drrino: You currently reside in Salibury. Will you move to Sussex, and remain count of Sussex? If so, where will you move to, and why?

Count Baiboe: I have moved back to Sussex because i have my duties there and it was my opinion that it wouldn't be right to ignore them. Wiltshire can also be helped by a good functioning council in Sussex.

drrino: Have any members of the council told you that they plan on becoming members of the Wiltshire council, or plan on moving back to sussex?

Count Baiboe: The only member of the Sussex Council who made that step so far is Lorudce. All other Council members are staying in Sussex or have moved to the right town.

drrino: In your opinion, is the creation of wiltshire a good thing? Why?

Count Baiboe: It is a good thing but it will take some time before everyone is used to the new situation. For example, the mayors will have to contact other people and the council will have to work with less resources but in the end it will provide opportunities for more people. Until now it was a rather small group of people who had the honour of being a member of a council but with a second county there will be more players who can do something for the wellfare of our country and get the experience that can help future generations of players.

drrino: Are the council members talking to eachother about who will join the Wiltshire council, and who will remain on the Sussex Council?

Count Baiboe: There wasn't a real disucussion about this but most council members decided to stay in the Sussex Council. Only Lorudce made the change to the other council.

drrino: In your opinion, will the creation of Wiltshire affect the live of the people in Sussex? What about those people who are now in Wiltshire?

Count Baiboe: The situation in Wiltshire is a bit uncertain without a real council so things might be tough during the first weeks.
This can be the same in Sussex but for a completely different reason. The mines were a difficult topic but now that a few mines became property of Wiltshire, we will have to find a new solution for balancing our costs in the maintenance and the profits of the mines.

I'm sure that - with the help of everyone in both counties - we will solve our problems and become two prosperous counties.

drrino: After the 40 day left in your council term, will you remain in Sussex, or move back To wiltshire?

Count Baiboe: After my terms as mayor in Salisbury i wanted to travel through Sussex but i always postponed that. Now i have the chance to explore our counties and i think that i spend some time on that when i have fulfilled my duties to the people of Sussex.

drrino: Has the creation of Wiltchire created any problems for the Sussex council?

Count Baiboe: We are now facing a new problem with the mines because now some of the iron and stone mines belong to Wiltshire. Sussex needed the production of those mines for the maintenance of the gold mines

by drrino

Q&A with Zymurge, Sheriff of Sussex

drrino: Has/will the new county of Wiltshire affected your job?

Zymurge: The splitting of the County has had a seriously negative impact on the mining situation by changing the ratio of towns with iron/stone options to those with gold only. It previously was 6:3 and now has moved to 3:2.
[On a side note: my theory on the downfall of the mining is the same ratio issue. Prior to the last two colonies, Dover and Canterbury, the ratio was 6:1. We had more than enough iron and stone to cover the one gold mine's drain. Adding 200% more gold mine maintenance (based on numbers of miners, not mines) tipped the equation into the red]

drrino: Has the new county affect the financial viability of Mining is sussex?

Zymurge: Frankly, I don't see how we can afford to keep Canterbury and Dover in the mining business without bankrupting the County iron and stone. The impact on my job is that I feel obligated to help solve the problem of finding alternative jobs for those towns. I've been discussing something with Teignant and the rest of the Council around this that we hopefully can present soon.

drrino: Will Sussex Import/export any mined products to Wiltshire on a regular basis?

Zymurge: As for trade with the other County, this is not my department. It is not my role to discuss these matters. You'll have to take this up with the Count and/or the Trade Minister.

by drrino

RELIGION & CULTURE

Annual Cord Pulling Contest

Officials of the Cord Pulling Council decided that this new year should be started off with a bang, with England's favorite contest. The Cord Pulling Contest that is. Of course many people started cheering for the Town teams. A huge outcome of supporters 115 people pulled for there teams. Here are the results

Quote :
Southampton 14% [ 17 ]
Arundel 17% [ 20 ]
Sevenoaks 6% [ 7 ]
Dover 17% [ 20 ]
Salisbury 6% [ 7 ]
Marlborough 4% [ 5 ]
Winchester 9% [ 11 ]
Lewes 14% [ 17 ]
Hastings 0% [ 0 ]
Canterbury 9% [ 11 ]

Total Votes : 115

Good job to Dover and Arundel for winning the cord contest. third place went to Southampton and Lewes. As of now the Cord Pulling Council has not announced when the next Cord Pulling Contest will be, so be ready.

by DariusFarlenz

SHORTS

Frien has just become a miller. Congratulations!

If YOU want YOUR name in the paper like this, please contact Whit!

Thank you for reading and thank you - Herald Staff for being great writers!
It was a fun ride - Whit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Herald (11/01/06)   

Back to top Go down

The Herald (11/01/06)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Archives of England :: The Herald-
Jump to: